SAT Stupor

As a high school junior with a weekend to spare, I am fully aware of the possibilities in which I could be indulging. Momentarily relieved from the black onus of finals, homework, and various social obligations, I am free to frolic, cavort, and caper to a reasonable degree (it is junior year, after all, and the horizon teems with leaden clouds). 


parties? picnics? photography? a facebook binge?  ... a rave? 

Appealing pursuits indeed, but what have I been doing in my spare moments? SAT class and practice exams. Something certainly appears to be askew. After all, preparing for the SAT exam (January 24--just a week left!) does seem to lack the 'fun' factor so desperately craved by many. Hours spent in a stuffy hotel room, enshrouded in the almost visible stupor of ennui of 16 high school students, do not necessarily bring about an alacrity to assimilate information. 

(And it is true that despite most valiant efforts on my part, the paper-thin practice tests have yet to be labeled satisfactorily with a color--ecru with a gray pallor is the closest I have come. Additionally, something truly must be done about the surfeit of candy the instructors use to stimulate our attention...)

However, SAT class is quickly becoming my love. I deeply appreciate the opportunity--that my parents are able, and willing, to pay to give me information to do well on an exam--information that I perhaps could glean for free from an old prep book in the library. But it extends past this. 

I feel empowered. I know I am doing as much as possible to ensure success on the SAT. I head to each class and approach each practice exam with a sense of purpose. My score will be directly influenced by how hard I work now, and that is unambiguous. I am not letting any 'unforeseen circumstances' alter my performance; I am committed and steadfast and unrelenting.

Admittedly, the SAT is just a standardized test that in all probability does not come close to measuring the intelligence, or scholastic aptitude, of the taker. Claims that it lacks socioeconomic equality probably have some basis in fact. However--this feeling of confidence and preparation is one that is universal, legitimate, and is something that I will strive to achieve more often.

So, yes, I have been missing out, but I have gained so much more.

6 Comments:

  1. stefan said...
    I think you should become an advertiser for the College Board. You make it seem as if their lucrative tests had an altruistic personality.
    naaaa said...
    i second dat (;
    Anonymous said...
    I love that last line:
    "So, yes, I have been missing out, but I have gained so much more."
    (:

    Have you seen the moviee The Perfect Score?

    -Wendieeeee!
    Priya said...
    I love your blog!
    Noel said...
    I agree with stefan hahahaha.
    Emz said...
    Oh man I've never seen/heard anyone love the SAT as much as you do haha. My suggestion though, DEFINITELY get enough sleep before hand. I fell asleep during it :(

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home