Happy 2009! With a new year come fresh opportunities and energized resolve. However, an unsettling convention seems to have developed from the once-optimistic creation of new years resolutions. From the well-intentioned but doomed 'to change my life for the better!' emerges a darker shadow of doubt, desperation, and impotency. 


Indeed, upon trawling the vast infinitude of blogosphere, I have found several heartbreaking examples:
  • "It's tragic though, because I know deep down (as much as I deny it) that I won't follow most of these resolutions anyhow" one doleful blogger admits. 
  • "10 New Years Resolutions I Know I'm Not Going to Keep"  adorned another's list.
Why is it that resolutions are so simple to set, yet far easier to shatter? The truth is that disillusionment is entirely preventable. Here are a few guidelines:

1. Articulate definitive and organized objectives.
  • If you don't know what you want, you're never going to get it.
  • Establish your reason for going after the goal. 
  • Try grouping your resolutions in categories (Health and Fitness, Relationships, Work)
2. Details, details, details.
  • Identify what has prevented your success previously and find ways to overcome such obstacles.
  • Under each main resolution, specify how you are going to strive to accomplish it.
  • The more specific you are, the less room you have for error.
3. Proliferate.
  • Remind yourself of your resolutions often. 
  • Make several copies of your list and post them where you will notice them.
  • Enlist supportive friends and family to remind you of your goals.
4. Set periodic goals.
  • Rather than wait until December 31st to consolidate your progress, hold monthly (or bimonthly evaluations.
  • Set mini-goals that add up to a larger achievement.
  • The main idea to keep goals burning freshly in your mind.
5. Prepare for failure.
  • Slip-ups are inevitable, but they don't signify defeat.
  • Analyze what went wrong and rectify your mistakes.
  • Never lose faith.
6. Don't be afraid to dream big.
  • As long as a goal has been carefully identified, specified, and formulated, there is no justification in sticking with stunted, stodgy hopes. 
I fully intend to achieve my goals--because I have set myself up for success. So here's to a healthy, empowered year.

 Sample Resolutions: notice the detail.


2 Comments:

  1. Daniela said...
    Tinarrrr. Amazing guidelines. And very healthy sample resolutions. :) You inspire me to stop eating five cookies a day, like I did today. LOL. I need water polo. Love your blog!! - Daniela
    S T said...
    You know what? I'm not even going to comment on your genius writing this time.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home